User Log On

Our Staff

John T. Fowler
    Pastor

Alvin L. Brooks
    Chairman Emeritus, Deacons' Ministry

James E. Jones
    Chairman, Deacons' Ministry, President Ushers' Ministry

John T. Fowler, II
    Deacon, Church Clerk, Historian

Donald L. Gray
    Deacon, Superintendent, Sunday School, Director, Evangelism Mini

Eleanor Stewart
    Chairperson, Deaconesses Ministry

Andrew W. Fowler
    Trustees' Ministry, Chief Technology Officer/Site Administrator

Joan Smith
    Treasurer, Women's Ministry

Harry B. Smith
    Church Budget Officer, President, Men's Ministry

Doretta R. Alford
    Public Relations Officer

Ruth B. Jones
    Vice President, Ushers' Ministry, Director of Programs

Chinola Fowler
    Co-Chair, Culinary Ministry, Health & Nutrition Ministry

Elbert Ruth
    Co-Chair, Culinary Ministry

Capital View Baptist Church
Email: capvbc.org@info

Logo

About Our Church

We are a ministry founded on biblical principles. We serve in the spirit of excellence with integrity and compassion for our community, our nation and our world. We have established a reputation for reaching the lost and broken and to minister and serve them with the utmost level of dignity and respect. We are recognized for our dedication to academic and spiritual excellence and mentoring and supporting spiritual leaders. Our environment inspires maximum participation, promotes personal satisfaction, and supports and molds effective leadership.

 

Biography

Pastor’s Biography

Rev. Dr. John Thomas Fowler was born on October 4, 1953, to the late Rev. Dr. Andrew Fowler and the late Mrs. Henrietta Hatter Fowler, the fifth of five children (the oldest one dying at birth).  249 10th Street, Northeast, Washington, D.C.—the family homestead—was filled with a thirst for education and a love for God.  The children are all products of the District of Columbia Public School System, each with multiple college degrees.  Dr. Fowler is a graduate of Paul Laurence Dunbar Senior High School (1971); a thrice graduate of Howard University: Bachelor of Arts in History (1973); Juris Doctor (1977); and Master of Divinity (1987), each with cum laude honors.  Dr. Fowler is a licensed member of the District of Columbia Bar (1977); a Licensed Preacher (1985); and an ordained Baptist Preacher (1988).  He was elected Assistant Pastor of the Capital View Baptist Church in 1992, where he served faithfully until he was elected Co-Pastor on November 23, 2002.  Upon the demise of Rev. Dr. Andrew Fowler on January 4, 2003, he became the sole Pastor of the Capital View Baptist Church.

 

In April 1990, Dr. Fowler became a Probation Officer with the Social Services Division of the District of Columbia Superior Court and remained employed with its successor, the Court Services and Offender Supervision Agency, of which he held the title of Community Supervision Officer, until his retirement in October of 2010, after more than 20 years of dedicated service. 

In October 1988, he was married Ms. Carolyn D. Smith, who died Christmas Day 1995.  In August 2007, he married Ms. Chinola Jenkins, who is a Registered Nurse.  The Fowlers have eight children: Thomasina, Derrick, Doretta (Kenneth), Tameka, King (Katie), Selena, John II, and Andrew W. (Cherice); and seventeen grandchildren.

Church History

Church History

Researched and written by Deacon John T. Fowler, II, MA

Church Historian

 

Capital View Baptist Church, located at the corner of Division Avenue and Ames Street, Northeast began on December 10, 1926 in a brand new subdivision known as “Capital View.”  Seven men and women, including the esteemed John Whitelaw Lewis (pioneer of Negro banking in Washington, D.C. and builder of the Whitelaw Hotel) founded the Capital View Baptist Church.  The Capital View Baptist Church was officially recognized by the Churches of the District of Columbia on April 19, 1927.

During its ninety years of existence, the Capital View Baptist Church has had continuous development and growth under four pastors.  The first pastor (also one of the founders), Rev. Charles H. Johnson, served from 1927 to 1937.  During Rev. Johnson’s administration, the property on which the present church is located was negotiated for and the first building—19 Division Avenue, was constructed.  It was also during this period that the Deacon Board, the Trustee Board, the Senior Choir, the Usher Board, the Women’s and Men’s Clubs, and the Sunday School were begun.

Rev. James Clarke Griffin, the second pastor, led the flock from 1937 to 1941.  During Rev. Griffin’s administration, the church program was revitalized in the aftermath of the worldwide depression.  Rev. Griffin chose zestful heads for the various departments of the church.  During Rev. Griffin’s term, the Christian Endeavor Society was organized.  In addition, a fine fellowship was developed with the churches throughout the city and the church became a member of the Baptist Convention.  Further, during Rev. Griffin’s administration, a strenuous effort was made to liquidate the financial obligations of the church, and a special banking account was set up to pay the second mortgage.  All except a few hundred dollars had been raised to finish the payment on the second trust, before Rev. Griffin accepted an army chaplain post.

Description: K:\Personal\FAMILY PHOTOS\Church Historian Photos\Church History Display\Old Wooden Church Photo.tifRev. Dr. Andrew Fowler, the third pastor, was appointed in March 1941.  Originally intended to the lead the flock for one year, he held the position until his death on January 4, 2003—sixty-two years! All of the original groups were maintained during the administration of Rev. Fowler, while others were organized or founded.  Further, during the first few years of Rev. Fowler’s tenure, the second and first trusts on the building were paid and mortgage debts were cleared.

During Rev. Fowler’s first thirty-six years, the present edifice evolved.  Constructed for the amount of three hundred thirty thousand dollars ($330,000), the Superstructure was considered to be one of Rev. Fowler’s great achievements.  Here are a few more of his achievements: the Junior Choir, the Sunday School Choir, the Youth Choir, the Churchwide Chorus, the Volunteer Chorus, the Women’s Chorus, and the Ensemble were founded and organized.  The Pastor’s Aid Society, the Missionary Society and the Scholarship Committee were formed.  These special events were organized and commenced to take place: the Teenage Tea, Fun Nights, Christmas Caroling throughout the Neighborhood, Daily Vacation Bible School, Rambler Rose Family Day, Stay at Home Tea, and Harvest Home.

Rev. Dr. John T. Fowler, the fourth and present Pastor, has held the position since March 2003.  He is the son of the late Rev. Dr. Andrew Fowler, the third pastor.  During Rev. Dr. John T. Fowler’s administration, many of the original groups and programs have been maintained and continue to be implemented while others have been reorganized in addition to forming new ones.

Here are a few achievements that Rev. Dr. John T. Fowler is especially proud of: implementation of Food and Clothing Distributions, purchase of a new church van, refurbishment of the church’s interior (Bell Tower, Electrical System Upgrade, Kitchen Upgrade, and upgrade of the Hammond Concert Organ), installation of a new church roof, hosting a Satellite Senior Self-Help Office, the start of an Annual Senior’s/Community Breakfast and Annual Health Fair, designation of fifth Sundays as “Youth Day,” the creation of the Church Administration, Church Development, Evangelism, Finance, Budget, Fund Raising, Widow’s Mite, Health & Nutrition, Culinary, Performing Arts, Public Relations, and Technology/Media (www.cvbc.org, www.cvbc.net, and www.cvbc.com) Ministries, the Young People’s Choir, the reform of the Youth and Sunday School Choirs, and the rebirth of Capital View’s Youth Program.

                          Rev. Charles H. Johnson        Rev. James Clarke Griffin       Rev. Dr. Andrew Fowler

                First                                       Second                                   Third